Preparing the Ministry Development Team members to fully participate in their faith community and the wider community. To expand the understanding of all types of diversity in these communities and to be able to integrate diversity in one’s personal and community life. Team members will be able to:
1. Complete a Team and Individual Assessment and develop a Learning Plan.
2. Recognize and encourage the gifts each person brings to the congregation.
- Discern the kind of “gifts inventory” that best fits the congregation.
- Determine a process that encourages the practice of gift discernment in an ongoing way in the congregation.
3. Demonstrate a collaborative leadership model.
- Demonstrate skills in dialogue, engaging with those holding a variety of options about issues.
- Strengthen conflict resolution skills.
4. Understand various decision making processes and which process to use in various situations.
5. Demonstrate a balance between congregational ministries with focus inside the congregation and those outside the congregation.
- Ability to lead the congregation, as a whole, to balance its ministry inside and outside the church walls.
6. Demonstrate awareness of and appropriate responses to the current affairs locally, nationally, and globally.
- Ability to discern a good understanding of the local ministry setting and demographics.
- Ability to discern the ethical issues faced in the local community.
- Demonstrate an understanding of context in order to enable the Christian community to respond.
- Participate with the community in dialogues concerning current affairs.
- Collaborate with others in the community on responses to issues.
7. Demonstrate an openness to understanding various faith traditions.
- Discern the relationships with other faith traditions in the local community.
- Develop ways of sharing with other faith traditions with the focus being increased understanding of the tradition.
- The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World
- by Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu, Sep 20, 2016
- Inclusion: Making Room for Grace by Eric Law, 2000
- The Wolf Shall Dwell with the Lamb: A Spirituality for Leadership in a Multicultural Community by Eric Law, January 1993
- God’s Tapestry: Understanding and Celebrating Difference is a wonderful resource for the breadth of diversity
- Radical Welcome: Embracing God, the Other, and the Spirit of Transformation by Stephanie Spellers
- A House of Prayer for All Peoples: Congregations building Multiracial Community by Sheryl Kujawa-Holbrook
- Where the Edge Gathers: Building a Community of Radical Inclusion, Yvette Fluner (focus on diversity in the spectrum of sexuality)
- “Sharing Leadership to Maximize Talent”
- “How Shared Leadership Changes Our Relationships at Work”
- I Have Called You Friends: an Invitation to Ministry by Kevin Thew Forrester, 2003
- Conflict and a Christian Life by Sam Portaro, 2003
- Sacred Acts. Holy Change: Faithful Diversity and Practical Transformation by Eric H. F. Law, 2002
- Christianity for the Rest of Us by Diana Butler Bass
- The Company of Strangers: Christians and the Renewal of America's Public Life by Parker Palmer
- “Community Organizing: People Power from the Grassroots”
- “Alinsky for the Left: The Politics of Community Organizing”
- “The ecumenical movement in the 21st century”
- Spiritual Gifts Assessment Tool ELCA
- Spiritual Gifts Assessment Tool UMC
- Visualize Diversity An activity to illustrate the diversity in a person’s life.
- Cultural Diversity An article on defining “cultural diversity”
- Even the Stones Cry Out for Justice: 3-5 season Bible study or retreat
- Alban Institute has many resources for congregations.
- Collaborative Leadership
- The Very Real Benefits of Collaborative Leadership
- Collaboration and Collaborative Leadership
- “Civil Discourse: From Separation to Engagement Small-Group Discussions with Krista Tippett on Being”
- "What is Dialogue?"
- Conflict Resolution
- Training for Conflict Resolution
- 7 Steps to Effective Decision-Making
- Decision Making Process
- How to Make Decisions: Making the Best Possible Choices
- Common types of decision-making processes
- 7 Decision-Making Styles
- A Call To Action Report: foundational information on domestic poverty
- Community Organizing and Family Issues
- About Community Organizing
- “Some Lessons Learned on Community Organization and Change”
- Community Tool Box Training Curriculum
- Enhancing Cultural Competence
- Asset Based Community Development
- “A Journey Together: Muslims and Christians in Ireland: building mutual respect, understanding and cooperation A RESOURCE FOR CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DIALOG”
- Guidelines for Interfaith Dialogue from The InterFaith Conference of Metropolitan Washington (IFC)
- Examples of interfaith projects