This module will raise awareness of what kinds of decisions and situations require ethical reflection in a congregation and to be able to draw on resources to respond to situations in the congregation. Teams will be able to:
1. Complete a Team and Individual Assessment and Learning Plan.
2. Understand and articulate the sources of authority in ethical reflection and scripture, tradition, reason and experience.
- Understand how scripture is used in ethical reflection/decision making.
- Understand how different schools of ethical decision making would approach an issue (rule morality, natural law, imitation Christi, situational ethics).
3. Understand the limits and boundaries in pastoral care situations.
4. Identify the processes used in the church to arrive at ethical decisions.
5. Guide the congregation in articulating a position on an issue or policy.
6. Articulate the Episcopal Church’s position on at least two contemporary issues relevant to the congregation’s context.
- Renewing Moral Theology: Christian Ethics as Action, Character and Grace by Daniel A. Westberg, May 2, 2015
- Formed by Love (Church's Teaching for a Changing World)
- by Scott Bader-Saye, March 15, 2017
- Sex, Moral Teaching, and the Unity of the Church: A Study of the Episcopal Church by Timothy F. Sedgwick, October 1, 2014
- The Christian Moral Vision by Earl Brill, 1979
- The Eye of the Storm: Living Spiritually in the Real World by Kenneth Leech, 1992
- Practicing Our Faith by Dorothy C. Bass, 1997
- Simpler Living, Compassionate Life: A Christian Perspective by Michael Schut, 1999
- "A Faith Informed Model of Decision-Making in Social Work"
- "Holy Living" by Dennis Bratcher
- "The distinctive character of Christian ethical reflection" WCC
- Ethics Awareness
- A Framework for Ethical Decision-Making
- A Framework for Making Ethical Decisions
- 5 Steps to Better Ethical Decision-Making
- Stephen Ministries
- Video on Stephen Ministries
- Living Compass
- Policy on Ethics and Integrity in Ministry: an example of a policy manual developed by the Episcopal Diocese of Ft. Worth
- WE WILL, WITH GOD’S HELP: A Guide to Codes of Ethics for those authorized to practice ministry in the Anglican Church of Canada